Listing and Selling duplexes in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas

         Sean Little, Broker/Owner Austin Lone Star Realty

Phone: (512) 243-7696
Email: info@austinlonestarrealty.com
Main Website: austinlonestarrealty.com


Moving Out

Now that you have a new address, send out all your change of address notices.

Complete your Change of Address notices and mail them to the following. Keep in mind that the post office will forward your mail for 30 days but they do expect that you are sending notices to everyone who sends you mail.

  • Post Office
  • Friends and relatives
  • Magazine and mail order subscriptions
  • Professional organizations of which you are a member
  • Clubs, social or civic organizations with mailings
  • Charge accounts, insurance carriers, and creditors
  • Driver’s bureau to receive tag notices
  • Voter Registration officials
Don’t forget the needs of your furry friends!

Do not transport your pets much farther than they have safely traveled in the past without consulting your veterinarian. To transport animals by air, you need an airline-approved animal carrier. A moving company can inform you of any state regulations for pet entry, vaccination or quarantine procedures. Ask about regulations, licenses, tags, etc. for pets. Also, do not forget to obtain a copy of your pet’s medical records.

Keep detailed records – some moving expenses are tax deductible!

Keep detailed records of all moving expenses if your move is job related. Many expenses, including house-hunting trips, are tax deductible. If your move is 35 miles or more from your property, you can deduct your family’s travel expenses, including meals and lodging; the cost of transporting furniture, other household goods and personal belongings; food and hotel bills for up to 30 days in the new city if you have to wait to move into your new property; and the costs associated with selling your old property or leasing your new property.

Note: There is a ceiling on deductions which is outlined in detail in the IRS’s Publication 521, “Tax Information on Moving Expenses,” available free form the IRS offices.

Now that you have a new address, you can begin transferring or canceling property services:
  • Electric and Water (City of Austin (512) 000-0000).Telephone (Southwestern Bell: Residential (800) 000-0000; Business (800) 000-0000).
  • Cable Television (Time Warner Cable: (512) 000-0000).
  • Trash (City of Austin (512) 000-0000).
  • Gas (Southern Union Gas (512) 000-0000)   

Make arrangements for canceling property deliveries and services. Arrange for service at your new address.